Updated for 1st April 2024 – 31st March 2025

BHAA MEMBERS – Public Liability Insurance:

  • Cover is for both ground and mounted training
  • Cover is provided for the Member no matter what horse they are riding (e.g. own, borrowed, rented, from a private individual or riding school)
  • Cover will apply for all events (training sessions & competitions) in the UK that are run by the BHAA, BHAA Club, BHAA School or by a BHAA qualified Coach or RSO
  • Cover will apply for all independent training as long as:
    • Members have their Club Archer qualification – for ground only training
    • Members have their Club Horseback Archer qualification (or higher) – for ground or mounted training
    • Members are either at an approved BHAA training venue with a risk assessment already in place OR have completed a risk assessment for their venue
  • Cover provided for training and competitions in Europe (but not elsewhere in the world)
  • NOTES:
    • The policy doesn’t provide coverage for those riding with any other equipment that is not standard for horseback archery e.g. shield / kalkan, sword

Coaches & RSOs using the BHAA’s Public Liability policy

  • The BHAA provides Public Liability insurance for Coaches & RSOs to run horseback archery training sessions, including competitions for existing Club members
    • Note that “existing Club members” means those who attend regular Club training sessions i.e. someone cannot become a Club member just to enter a competition
  • All Coaches can teach anyone i.e. they can teach both BHAA member and non-members
  • Cover is for both ground and mounted training
  • Cover is for an unlimited number of sessions per year
  • Cover is provided for members and coaches competing / attending European events i.e. a Coach is covered to travel with their students and support them at events in Europe
  • Coaches can be resident internationally, but cover is only provided for teaching in the UK
  • The insurance covers a specified number of individuals per year, although we can pay for extra. It is important that a Coach or RSO ensures that they are on the BHAA’s list of insured individuals before they start to run sessions.

In keeping with the skills required for each coaching qualification we strongly recommend that Coaches limit themselves to teaching the following shots. A coach may decide it is safe to teach a more advanced shot or track if they’re running a session for more advanced horseback archers. As always, it’s a requirement for the coach to do an appropriate risk assessment for every session that they teach.

Club Coach
– Side shots & simple front and back shots (i.e. those required for Raid or within the central 30m of the Tower track)
– This includes the following complete tracks: Raid, Aussie, Polish Prelim, Tower 60 and simple arena tracks

Intermediate Coach
– Everything Club Coach can teach
– Plus all shots for Tower 90 & 110, Mamluk, Skirmish, Polish Prelim+ & more complex arena courses
– Includes kikac, jamaki & offside shots

Advanced Coach
– Everything Intermediate Coach can teach
– Can coach the shots required for all tracks
– If a qualified riding instructor then can teach jumping & shooting
– If not a qualified riding instructor then can only teach jumping & shooting alongside a qualified riding instructor

Templates for the Rider Registration Form, Participant Disclaimer, Horse Assessment form & Risk Assessment can be found in this folder
Other forms for coaches/RSOs on the BHAA’s insurance: Incident reporting form

  • Insured Coaches & RSOs from 1st April 2024 –> 31st March 2025
    • Alex Austin
    • Helen Barnes
    • Hazel Curtis
    • Lauran Evans
    • Lauren Fell
    • John Goodwin
    • Fiona Hunt
    • Emily Massey
    • Christoph Nemethy
    • Francesca Nunn
    • Michael Ruby

Events Insurance
The BHAA can also provide Events insurance for Coaches who are organising a competition. The definition of when specific Event Insurance is required is as follows.

  • A competition with existing Club members can be covered under a coach’s standard public liability policy
    • Note that “existing Club members” means those who attend regular Club training sessions i.e. someone cannot become a Club member just to enter a competition
  • A competition with competitors invited from outside of the Club requires events insurance

Insured events (Organiser)

  • BHAA non-competition Events (provides cover for the BHAA as the organiser)
    • Christoph Coaches Camp (April)
    • Christoph Riders Camp (April)
    • KoME Hunt training (May)
  • Competitions
    • CMA Black Cat Hunt (May)
    • Durham Mounted Archers Club Competition (23rd June)
    • The Battle of Castlemilk (25th July)
    • BHAA Nationals (Aug)
    • CMA 4 Nations Open Competition, Stage 2 (Aug 17/18)
    • BHAA KoME Grading 1 (Sept)
    • BHAA KoME Grading 2 (Sept)

For any questions, please contact Becca Sweetman by emailing the BHAA with “FAO Becca Sweetman” in the subject line.

Other insurance information

Accident insurance policy
If you have either a Personal or Equine accident insurance policy then do check that it covers horseback archery

Travel insurance
If you’re travelling outside of the UK for horseback archery, whether training or competitions, then it’s your responsibility to take out appropriate travel insurance. At the time of writing (Feb 2022) the BHAA are aware of 2 policies that will cover horseback archery, although it is your responsibility to check that any policy covers your specific needs:

1) Campbell Irvine have said that they can cover horseback archery (including competitions, jumps & riding bareback). This policy requires a 50% premium to their online prices, bringing the cost, for individuals under the age of 66 to (updated: May 2024)
·  Europe, unlimited number of trips up to 31 days any one trip – £99.19
·  Worldwide, unlimited number of trips up to 70 days any one trip – £250.80
Please contact Clive Parish on 020 7368 1147 to take out this policy.

2) Sports Cover Direct: they list horseback archery as one of the options when you take out a policy and they include competitions. You can either take out a normal single trip / multi trip policy or purchase activity top up insurance. At the time of writing the annual policy is £350-450.

Scroll to Top